Person - Monteverde, Domingo de (1773-1832)

Monteverde, Domingo de (1773-1832)




Preferred form:

Monteverde, Domingo de (1773-1832)Other forms

Dates of existence/Biographical dates:

San Cristóbal de La Laguna (Tenerife, Santa Cruz de Tenerife, España)  1773-04-02 - Cádiz (provincia)  1832-09-15


He was a soldier, politician and Spanish sailor. He fought in the American revolutionary independence cause during the years 1812 and 1813 in Venezuela, assuming the leadership of the Royalist Army in that country.

He was:

-Captain General of Venezuela: April 05, 1812 - August 06, 1813.

-President of the Royal Audience of Caracas: April 30, 1812 - August 6, 1813.

-Captain General of Puerto Rico: January 1, 1823 - January 1, 1824.

He obtained de rank of Marine Guard in Cádiz (October 1, 1789). In 1793, he was promoted to Midshipman and embarked on the squadron of Juan de Lángara (1736-1806), who along with the Admiral Samuel Hood (1724-1816) took control of Tolón. He attended the defense of the Fort of Málaga and the Plaza de Rosas. As Sublieutenant aboard the frigate Paz, he participated in the battle of the Cabo de San Vicente, between the Spanish squadron of the José general de Córdova (1774-1810) and the British Admiral John Jervis (1735-1823), on February 14, 1797. At the end of that year and during 1798, he went to the posting of Algeciras, where was conferred the alternative command of several gunboat during the attack to Gibraltar, acting as escort of convoys that were in the area. In 1799, he served in the squad of José de Mazarredo Salazar (1745-1812), and in 1800 he took part in the defense of El Ferrol against the English expedition. From 1801 to 1804, he sailed for America. In 1804 he settled again in the posting of Cádiz and it was given to him the command of a gunboat. He participated in the battle of Trafalgar, October 21, 1805, aboard the ship San Ildefonso, being wounded and taken as a prisoner. After being exchanged, he was stationed once again to the Department of Cádiz, where he was appointed Assistant in the company of midshipmen. He also was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant. During the Napoleonic invasion in the peninsula, he was in Cádiz at the arsenal of La Carraca and took part in the battle and surrender of the squadron of the Admiral François Étienne de Rosily-Mesros (1748-1832). Soon after, he took part in the battalions which were forming against the invasions, occupying the position of Captain of Hunters of the Second Battalion of the First Regiment of Marine Corps. He stood out in campaigns of Extremadura, La Mancha and Andalusia. Thanks to his participation in the battle of Talavera, he was decorated with the Cross of distinction of that battle. He also was promoted to Commander and defended against the French the bridges of the Tagus River. He was injured in Ocaña, but continued beating retreat with his battalion to Cádiz. In 1810, he went to Havana and Puerto Rico, and then in 1812 he was stationed in Venezuela, where the fight for the independence and the insurgency had begun. From the province of Coro, he went to the city center, finding a good acceptance in the population. He got to take control of Carosa, and thanks to an earthquake and other circumstances, he took Barquisimeto. He continued his conquests and triumphs in San Carlos and conquered Valencia, in which he ran away from the Republican government. Venezuelans prepared the counter-offensive under the command of Francisco Miranda (1750-1816), and with which he fought and forced to sign the capitulation of San Mateo on July 25, 1812. Then, he was promoted to Sea Captain. In 1813, he was appointed Captain General of Venezuela and President of the Audience of Caracas, also honoring him with the title of "Peacemaker". The Patriots, knowing the promulgation of the Constitution of 1812, and Monteverde not respecting the agreement with Miranda, arrested them, implanting a tyrannical regime. That provoked the expansion of the independence movement in 1813. The Government awarded him with the Grand Cross of Charles III, but on September 28, 1813 had to hand over the command. After that, he moved to Puerto Rico to heal his wounds and from there to Spain. Once he was besieged in Puerto Cabello by Simón Bolívar (1783-1830), he repelled the attack, and receiving reinforcements with the arrival of a regiment from Cadiz, he returned to take on defensive. But he was defeated by the revolutionaries in Bárbula and in the trenches. He had to take refuge again in Puerto Cabello, seriously wounded and handed over the command on December 28. Then, he returned to Spain to continue his career. On August 22, 1817, he was promoted to Brigadier, and in October of that year, he obtained the Grand Crosses of Isabel the Catholic and Saint Ferdinand. In 1823, he was appointed Captain General of Puerto Rico, but he resigned shortly after. On June 21, 1824 is promoted to Squadron Commander. Between August 28, 1825 and March 7, 1827, he held the position of Commander in Chief of the thirds of the Levant. On June 24, 1827, he was appointed Colonel General of the Royal Marine Brigade. In 1831, although he could quell the insurrection, he was subjected to process in which he was acquitted and ratified in his positions. He died shortly after very affected by this process.



Lugar de Defunción:

Cádiz (provincia) in 1832-09-15




External Links

Catálogo de Autoridades:



Producer of:

  • No Units of Description associated.