Corporate Body - Colegio de San Andrés de Zamora (España)

Colegio de San Andrés de Zamora (España)



Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Colegio de San Andrés de Zamora (España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1716 to 1767


When the Society of Jesus had settled in all the current provincial capitals of the community of Castile-Leon, the city of Zamora had still no contact with the Jesuits, who had been giving popular missions since the beginning of the 17th century. The Order had already tried several times to settle in the city. In 1612, the Society asked for the creation of a college in Zamora but the canonry of the Cathedral opposed. The local government of the capital managed the paperwork to open a college in 1711. But in the end it was all in vain. The Bishop Francisco Zapata Vera y Morales requested that three Jesuit fathers and one brother took charge of this mission on the 3rd of October 1711. This was done to accomplish Council of Trent's regulations (1545-1563) in terms of training candidates to the priesthood. He promised to give them 800 ducats of income and 14.000 "reales"* for the college's construction. He asked them to teach basic education, missions, assistance in hospitals and cares for dying people. They also had to train the ordained priests. Their first location was the hospital and the chapel that belonged to the brotherhood of la Candelaria. Then, they took up the bishop's palace and they went to the churches and parishes of the city every day to carry out pastoral work. Finally, after some paperwork made by the Order and the Bishopric, a Royal Order issued by Philip V commanded the prelates to establish seminaries that trained the candidates for the ecclesiastical state in 1713 with one condition: they could never be considered a Jesuit School. On the 8th of July 1716, the bishop and the Jesuits signed the foundation scripture. 34.000 ducats coming from the goods of the bishop and his nephew, the canon José Zapata, were fixed. The bishop let them move to the church of San Andrés. The conflicts caused by the canonry's opposition as well as some male convents and the local government did not stop. These previous-mentioned institutions were afraid that their incomes decreased. The final building, which housed these Jesuits, started to be constructed on the 1st of March 1719. The works' director was José de Barcia. In October 1721, the house of the "ejercitantes"** and the seminary of ordained priests started working under the name of "Colegio de San Andrés" (College of Saint Andrew). It operated until 1767 due to the Pragmatic Sanction of Charles III (1759-1788).

*Old Spanish coin.

**Person that carries out Catholic spiritual exercises.


When the Jesuits were expelled, the Conciliar Seminary San Atilano settled in this building on the 5th of October 1797. Some years later, in 1809, the Seminary's lessons were interrupted by the French invasion. Then, the building was used as a warehouse, headquarters and a hospital. It was severely damaged. In 1815, the bishop Inguanzo Rivero restored it again; a new school year started on the 30th of November. In the following decades, different reforms and extensions were made; on the 18th of March 1947, a new official support of 40 million pesetas was earmarked for the construction and expansion of Seminaries and parish temples. It now counts on a Minor Seminary, a Major Seminary and a Church.


(Función) Desempeña/lleva a cabo/realiza:

Administración del patrimonio monástico

(Función) Desempeña/lleva a cabo/realiza:

Preservación de obras culturales monásticas

(Función) Desempeña/lleva a cabo/realiza:

Misionado y evangelización

(Función) Desempeña/lleva a cabo/realiza:

Asistencia a enfermos, pobres y marginados




Mandates/Legal Sources


PARES: Código Referencia:ES.28079.AHN/

Documentos de la Compañía de Jesús en el Archivo histórico nacional: Inventario por Araceli Guglieri Navarro,... Introducción de Francisco Mateos, S.J. AHN, Editorial Razón y Fe, 1967.

Related Authorities

Jesuitas  ( Es miembro de )

Associative relations :