Corporate Body - Colegio de San Ignacio de Manresa (Barcelona, España)

Colegio de San Ignacio de Manresa (Barcelona, España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Colegio de San Ignacio de Manresa (Barcelona, España)Alternative forms (other languages) Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from XVII to 1892

History:

The Jesuits established in the hospital of Santa Lucía in Manresa, Barcelona, since about 1600. It was owned by the local government and, at the request of the canonry to Father General of the Order, they created a Jesuit residence in it. This hospital had a close relationship with the Order because the founder of the Society, Ignacio de Loyola, had carried out pastoral activities in it and had been involved in mystical experiences in the so-called "Cueva de Manresa" (Manresa's cave). This cave was located in the left side of the river Cardoner and under what would later be called the church of San Ignacio, which was placed next to the College. The cave was owned by the Marchioness of Aitona. It was naturally formed and it had been used for her spiritual retreat. The Marchioness donated this cave to the Jesuits in 1603. This first building was used as a residence with a few priests. It was between 1619 and 1622 that the college of San Ignacio was founded in this little residence thanks to Lupercio de Arbizo. The hospital's church became the college's chapel; in 1750, a new church started to be built. The college expanded when they bought some adjoining houses. At first, only foreign students were admitted. The college started operating thanks to the country houses it had and the pension given by the municipality. In1767, as the rest of Jesuit schools in Spanish territory, it was abolished. It was not taken up by the Order until the 18th of June 1816. They were expelled two more times in 1820 and 1835 due to the political changes that took place during the 19th century in Spain. One of the times it came back, the society moved to the Areny building, which was located in front of the original school. They taught Latin, Grammar, basic education and Rhetoric there. It worked as a Jesuit high school until 1829, when the Jesuits abandoned the city and established in Barcelona because of their differences with the municipal council.

Context:

When the building was abandoned, it was used as a public school, among other usages. It is currently the “Museu Comarcal de Manresa”, the Historical Archive and Manresa’s tourist office.

Functions

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Preservación de obras culturales monásticas

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Administración del patrimonio monástico

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Recaudación de tributos y rentas señoriales

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Misionado y evangelización

Places

Mandates/Legal Sources

Sources

PARES: Código Referencia:ES.28079.AHN/3.1.2.19.78//

Documentos de la Compañía de Jesús en el Archivo histórico nacional: Inventario por Araceli Guglieri Navarro,... Introducción de Francisco Mateos, S.J.AHN, Editorial Razón y Fe, 1967.

Capítulo decimosexto la Compañía de Jesús. Artículo Segundo: Colegio de san Ignacio, de Manresa. Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona. Biblioteca de Humanitats.[Recurso electrónico. Consultado el 3 de agosto de 2015] ddd.uab.cat/pub/llibres/1906/56959/casrelcatdur_a1906t2c16.pdf

VV. AA: Historia de la Educación en España y América. La educación en la España Moderna. Siglos XVI-XVIII. Vol. II. Madrid: Ediciones Morata-Ediciones SM, 1993.

Related Authorities

Jesuits  ( He/She is a member of )

Associative relations :

Documents

Producer of:

  • No Description Units associated.

Related documents:

  • No Description Units associated.