Corporate Body - Colegio de la Anunciación de Antequera (Málaga, España)

Colegio de la Anunciación de Antequera (Málaga, España)



Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Colegio de la Anunciación de Antequera (Málaga, España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1599 to 1767-04-02


The "Colegio de la Anunciación" (School of the Annunciation) in Antequera was founded by Luisa de Medina in 1599. Originally, it was situated next to the Convent of Santa Catalina, but the Jesuits moved to a terrain in Tejares Street on the 1st of January 1611. These lands were given by the city. The construction of the current church, dedicated to Our Lady of Loreto, lasted between 1636 and 1706 under the direction of Ignacio de Urceta and Melchor de Aguirre. It was consecrated on the 13th of February 1696. The school offered classes on grammar, arts, philosophy and rhetoric. It was abolished by the Pragmatic Sanction on the 2nd of April 1767, expelling the Society of Jesus from Spain and its possessions. At present, the school and the church belong to the "madres filipenses"*.

*Women's religious congregation belonging to the Catholic Church that was founded in Mataró (Spain) in 1858 by Marcos and Gertrudis Castañer y Seda.


(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Preservación de obras culturales monásticas