Corporate Body - Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de Porta Coeli de Serra (Valencia, España)

Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de Porta Coeli de Serra (Valencia, España)



Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de Porta Coeli de Serra (Valencia, España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1272 to 1835


The Charterhouse of Porta Coeli, which was located in the valley of Lullén (Serra), was founded by the Dominican Brother Andrés de Albalat, who was the bishop in Valencia. The first stone was placed on the 6th of November 1272. The convent was the third Charterhouse founded in the Crown of Aragon and the first one founded in the Kingdom of Valencia. The first monks that lived in it came from the Charterhouse of Escala Dei in Tarragona. After the deaths of Jaime I and Andrés de Alabalat, the friars lost their main incomes' sources. However, in 1277, Peter III donated great terrains to the convent. In the following century, the daughter of the admiral Roger de Lauria, Margarita de Lauria, became a benefactor and collaborated economically in the construction of the Gothic church. The convent continued with its architectonic development during the following centuries. The Bible's translation from Latin into Valencian was carried out by Bonifacio Ferrer in Porta Coeli. It was printed in 1478 and it was the first Bible edited in a Spanish language. In 1498, the inquisition ordered to burn ever copy since the Vulgate was the only accepted version of the Bible. Nowadays, only one sheet is conserved in the Hispanic Society of New York. In 1835, the monastery closed for good after Mendizábal's secularization. The building was sold in a public auction to Vicente Bertrán de Lis, a liberal politician and the Royal House's banker, who could not afford the expenses it entailed. Therefore, it was taken over by the State.

Mandates/Legal Sources


Real Decreto de 25 de julio de 1835 suprimiendo los monasterios y conventos de religiosos que no tengan 12 individuos profesos, de los cuales las dos terceras partes a lo menos sean de coro. BOE núm. 211, de 29 de julio de 1835, páginas 841 a 842.

Real Decreto de 11 de octubre de 1835 suprimiendo los monacales. BOE núm. 292, de 14 de octubre de 1835, página 1157.

Related Authorities

Carthusians  ( He/She is a member of )

Associative relations :

External Links

Obras publicadas:


Obras publicadas:


Fichero de Autoridades:

Biblioteca Nacional de Espa¿a

Fichero de Autoridades:

Cat¿logo autoridades DNB