Corporate Body - Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepción de Zaragoza (España)

Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepción de Zaragoza (España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepción de Zaragoza (España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1555-04-17 to 1767

History:

The "Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepción" (College of the Inmaculate Conception) in Zaragoza was the first school of the Society of Jesus in Aragon. Even though the process began in 1547, the school was not used for canonical reasons until the 17th of April 1555 in an attached property to the main street between the Sinagoga Square (plaza de la Sinagoga), nowadays called San Carlos Square (plaza de San Carlos), and the Carnicería de los Judíos Street and Door, now called Santo Dominguito del Val Street. Shortly after, some adjoining properties were acquired, including the building of the old Major Synagogue, consecrated as a church in 1557. The new church was not built until 1569 under the direction of Pedro de Cuevas, Juan Jimeno and Domingo Calvete. It was solemnly dedicated on the 25th of November 1585 and some expansions and reforms were later carried out. Throughout the 17th century, a teaching complex was built. It was formed by the "Aulas de Gramática" (1609-1612), which were paid by the council, and an attached residence known as the "Colegio del Padre Eterno" (from 1685), which was defrayed with the royal secretary Jerónimo Villanueva's inheritance. Both properties were destroyed during the War of Independence. After the Jesuit's expulsion in 1767, the "Colegio de la Inmaculada Concepción" turned into the Royal Seminary of San Carlos Borromeo, which was declared as a National Monument in 1983.

Documents

Producer of:

  • No Units of Description associated.

Related documents:

  • No Units of Description associated.