Corporate Body - Colegio de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, España)

Colegio de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Colegio de Las Palmas de Gran Canaria (Gran Canaria, Las Palmas, España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from XVII to 1921

History:

The Jesuits' presence in the islands dates back to the 16th century. In the case of Las Palmas, there was a first try and donation to establish a school of the Society. However, the resources destined to this company were used for the construction of the city's walls. It was at the end of the 17th century that the School was founded in the city. They opened the school in the houses given by the Canon Andrés Romero. It became operative on the 11th of January 1697. Over time, the manor was prepared and extended by attaching the adjoining houses. In the 18th century, a large area with two façades was already formed: the main one faced the Doctor Chil Street and the posterior one faced the Canónigos Street, which is nowadays called López Bota Street. The building is located in 17 Dr. Chil Street and is known as the old seminary. In one of the rooms in the ground floor, the Jesuits built a chapel that became the current church of San Francisco de Borja, which already existed in the times of the bishop Guillén (1754) after 30 years of work. The cupola stands out since it represented an architectural novelty of its time. It became inoperative due to the Decree of expulsion issued by the King Charles III. The buildings and the church were given to the Catholic Diocese of the Canary Islands. It was not until 1852 that the Jesuits returned to the city to be in charge of the Seminary that took up the old school's building on the advice of San Antonio María Claret to the Diocese's bishop, Buenaventura Codina. On the 7th October 1868, the Revolutionary Government Board of Las Palmas agreed on expelling the Jesuits for the second time, so they had to leave the seminary. This happened during the revolution known as The Glorious. Almost 50 years later, in 1917, the Jesuits returned to open a new school at the request of the bishop Ángel Marquina, in the building taken up by the Seminary. It is currently the 15 Dr. Chil Street. In 1921, the college was transferred to another place near the sea.

Context:

On the 31st of December 1921, the first stone of a new building for the Jesuit school was placed and blessed in the current location, in Juan E. Doreste Street, which cornered Alcalde Francisco Hernández González (which was previously called Dr. Pasteur). The territories were until that moment a country house of banana plantations. The Eastern façade directly looked to the sea.

Functions

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Administración del patrimonio monástico

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Preservación de obras culturales monásticas

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Misionado y evangelización

Mandates/Legal Sources

Sources

PARES: Código Referencia:ES.28079.AHN/3.1.2.19.45//

VV. AA: Historia de la Educación en España y América. La educación en la España Moderna. Siglos XVI-XVIII. Vol. II. Madrid: Ediciones Morata-Ediciones SM, 1993.

Documentos de la Compañía de Jesús en el Archivo histórico nacional: Inventario por Araceli Guglieri Navarro,... Introducción de Francisco Mateos, S.J.AHN, Editorial Razón y Fe, 1967.

Related Authorities

Jesuits  ( He/She is a member of; Este es el primer período en el que el Colegio es utilizado por los jesuitas. Vuelven a ocuparlo de nuevo, en 1852 hasta 1868, cuando son expulsados por segunda. Regresan en 1917 y definitivamente se trasladan al edificio actual en 1921. )

Associative relations :

Documents

Producer of:

  • No Units of Description associated.

Related documents:

  • No Units of Description associated.