Corporate Body - Colegio de Nuestra Señora de MonteSión de Palma de Mallorca (Mallorca, Illes Balears, España)

Colegio de Nuestra Señora de MonteSión de Palma de Mallorca (Mallorca, Illes Balears, España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Colegio de Nuestra Señora de MonteSión de Palma de Mallorca (Mallorca, Illes Balears, España)Alternative forms (other languages) Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

1597

History:

Raimundo de Verí y Despuig was the founder of the College of Monte Sión. He was the "Baylío" or Knight Commander of the Order of Saint John of Malta in Mallorca. This knight received the letter patent of founder, which was signed by Father General of the Society of Jesus, Claudio Aquaviva. It was made in a solemn act on the 21st of November 1597, a celebration of the owner of the School and the Church: the Presentation of Our Lady. He died two years after receiving the letter patent of the Jesuits' General on the 21st of July 1599. In his last will, he demanded that his body was buried in the church of Monte Sión. And so it was. His excellent and sumptuous sepulcher as it can be admired nowadays was finished in 1633, as it is explained in the inscription. Originally, the School did not have its own building. It had to turn to a borrowed one, the "Estudi General". However, thanks to the help of the founder and other benefactors, the houses that surrounded the primitive chapel in Monte Sión were acquired. The school, which is the oldest part of the current building, began to be built in 1561. This part is now reformed and modernized. So, while the new church was built, the rooms dedicated to teaching increased. The number of Jesuits of the Majorcan Community also increased. They were more than 40, as it had happened in 1611. The reredos that gave the name to the church and the first Jesuits was the "Presentación de Nuestra Señora". After a long and varied pilgrimage, according to some historians, it can be currently found in the so-called "Capilla de las Reliquias". The Jesuits in Palma participated in all the apostolic, missionary and preaching activities as well as in the teaching work. They founded prospering congregations that were very loved by the population. The school's development was so productive that the abundance of resources, receiving donations and inheritances, permitted them to open other schools in the island: the "Colegio de San Martín" in 1630, which was given to the Theatin Fathers in 1767 and the "Colegio de Montesino de Pollensa" in 1686, also given to the Theatins after the Jesuits' expulsion. The school became inoperative due to the pragmatic expulsion by Charles III, but the Order's readmission in Spain favoured that the buildings of the School were given to the Jesuits at a solemn act on the 6th of June 1816. In this new age, the rector of the school, Father Francisco Company, received the keys in front of a big audience. One month later, on the 5th of July 1816, Fathers Baltasar Masdeu and Diego Martínez settled in the School when they arrived in the peninsula. In this new period, the College of Monte Sión experienced serious economic difficulties and a lack of Jesuit personnel. So, they turned to the secular priests until 1820. The 1st of January 1820, the nine Jesuits of the College of Monte Sión, as well as the ones in other Spanish cities, had to abandon their jobs because of the Spanish political process. Three years later, the Jesuits returned to their occupations because Ferdinand VII permitted them to return on the 1st of October 1823. This situation remained normal for 10 years. The College was working. The Society was formed by 15 priests. The church also counted on many parishioners. This continued until 1835, when the authorities of the Spanish State declared the Jesuits' expulsion. The news came to Palma on the 16th of July. The 21st of that month was the last day of school. Due to the different expulsions and political events in the country, the Jesuits returned in small groups to Palma, in a moment of peace and permission for the Order, but they settled in some houses spread all over the city. It was on the 6th of June 1919 that they could return to the old College of Monte Sión. In 1931, the Republican Constitution expelled the Jesuits from Spain through an article that became famous, the number 26. The Republican Constitution was published in the "Gaceta de Madrid" on the 10th of December 1931. During the Civil War (1936-1939) Majorca was in the hands of Franco's troops and the College of Monte Sión and its Church were returned to the Society of Jesus. The Civil Governor of the Balearic Islands communicated it to the scattered fathers and brothers on the 29th of October 1936. The school became operative again on the 10th of October 1938. At first, it was formed by 120 students. There were three courses of baccalaureate. Its first Prefect of Studies was Father Margín Negra, an enterprising man born in Barcelona in 1891, that knew how to restore the Jesuit teaching group despite its disappearance for many years. A new and long phase started for the College of Monte Sión and its Church. The college expanded in its historical place. New parts of the building were constructed, specially dedicated to the classrooms a meeting rooms all over its 4 floors. It grew so much that they had to create several pavilions and sports fields in Son Moix, near Son Rapinya. They were blessed and opened on the 13th of March 1968 by the rector in that moment, Father Narciso Anglada.

Context:

The construction of new buildings continued in order to adapt to the new times and educational standards. The magnificent "Polideportivo San Pedro Claver" was finished in 1996. The college is currently mixed and lay teachers have become more and more important. They have taken charge of executive positions for some time now. There were 1.424 students in 1996. It comprised 7 Jesuit teachers and 47 lay teachers (men and women). In the old buildings of Monte Sión, the "Aulas de la Tercera Edad" are still operative. The Society of Jesus took charge of the parish of San Juan de Avila, which is located in the "Polígono de Levante".

Functions

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Administración del patrimonio monástico

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Preservación de obras culturales monásticas

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Misionado y evangelización

Mandates/Legal Sources

Sources

Documentos de la Compañía de Jesús en el Archivo histórico nacional: Inventario por Araceli Guglieri Navarro,... Introducción de Francisco Mateos, S.J.AHN, Editorial Razón y Fe, 1967.

PARES: Código Referencia:ES.28079.AHN/3.1.2.19.46//

VV. AA: Historia de la Educación en España y América. La educación en la España Moderna. Siglos XVI-XVIII. Vol. II. Madrid: Ediciones Morata-Ediciones SM, 1993.

Related Authorities

Jesuits  ( He/She is a member of )

Associative relations :

External Links

Catálogo de Autoridades:

VIAF

Fichero de Autoridades:

Biblioteca Nacional de España

Documents

Producer of:

  • No Description Units associated.

Related documents:

  • No Description Units associated.