Corporate Body - Colegio de San Ignacio de Morón de la Frontera (Sevilla, España)

Colegio de San Ignacio de Morón de la Frontera (Sevilla, España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Colegio de San Ignacio de Morón de la Frontera (Sevilla, España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1627-01-21 to 1767

History:

The proximity of the colleges of Osuna and Marchena, the colleges of Seville and even the one of Écija made easier the visits and missions of the Jesuit priests in Morón. A college of the Society of Jesus was founded in Morón thanks to the Portuguese and resident Lorenzo Díaz's goods. The Society acquired them on the 30th of September 1625. The college was not founded until the 21st of January 1627. When the Jesuits arrived in the city, they firstly established in the old hermitage of Santa Quiteria, where the Hieronymite nuns had already professed until they moved to a new convent located in the neighbourhood of Santa María, in Morón. The temple and the college received a new distribution. There are no data of this college's author. It counted on one Philosophy teacher, one Grammar teacher and one teacher of basic education from its beginnings. There is no more information about the College's intellectual and cultural development. It became inoperative in 1767 after the Pragmatic Sanction of Charles III (1759-1788).

Context:

After the Jesuits' expulsion, the college that belonged to Seville's Diocese was used as a room for the teachers of basic education, Latinity and Rhetoric. Thus, it turned into a royal school. The rest of the building was used for the "Hospital de Mujeres Pobres y Huérfanas" (Hospital for Poor Women and Female Orphans). This building was separated from the church through a wall. The church became a private oratory. When the Jesuits came back to Spain (1816), the Society returned to Morón de la Frontera but they did not take up the buildings where they have been previously settled. In 1817, the college was still used as a hospital and a school. In 1868, the priest José María de Meneses y Rodríguez took charge of the building. From that moment on, the classrooms were used as a post office (oficina de Correos y Telégrafos), a little theatre and a public school. At the end of the 19th century and the beginning of the 20th century, the college was demolished and the Abastos Square (Plaza de los Abastos) was built instead.

Functions

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Administración del patrimonio monástico

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Preservación de obras culturales monásticas

(Function) He/She carries out/ perform:

Misionado y evangelización

Mandates/Legal Sources

Sources

Catálogo de Autoridades de PARES: Código: 19936

Documentos de la Compañía de Jesús en el Archivo histórico nacional: Inventario por Araceli Guglieri Navarro,... Introducción de Francisco Mateos, S.J.AHN, Editorial Razón y Fe, 1967.

VV. AA: Historia de la Educación en España y América. La educación en la España Moderna. Siglos XVI-XVIII. Vol. II. Madrid: Ediciones Morata-Ediciones SM, 1993.

PARES: Código Referencia:ES.28079.AHN/3.1.2.19.80//

Martín Prada, A. y Carrasco Gómez, I.: El Catálogo de pinturas del colegio de San Ignacio de Loyola de Morón de la Frontera (Sevilla).[Recurso electrónico. Consultado el 3 de agosto de 2015] www.academia.edu/.../EL_CATÁLOGO_DE_PINTURAS_DEL_COLEG..

Related Authorities

Jesuits  ( He/She is a member of )

Associative relations :

External Links

Fichero de Autoridades:

Biblioteca Nacional de España

Documents

Producer of:

  • No Units of Description associated.