Corporate Body - Cartuja de Cazalla de la Sierra (Sevilla, España)

Cartuja de Cazalla de la Sierra (Sevilla, España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Cartuja de Cazalla de la Sierra (Sevilla, España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1476 to 1835

History:

The founding of the Charterhouse of Cazalla de la Sierra was an initiative of Fernando de la Torre, the prior of the Charterhouse of Santa María de las Cuevas in Seville. After the prior's death, the monks asked in united action for the monastery's founding to the General Chapter. In 1476, they got the license and, one year later, they bought El Castillejo, which were some territories that belonged to the King Peter I of Castile. In 1479, the works started. In 1503, they had not been finished yet. In the General Chapter of 1504, the monastery was dedicated to Concepción de María, and Bartolomé Guerrero was chosen to be the first prior. This monastery started to operate as a unique case, since it was the first Carthusian monastery that was created as a subsidiary of another one. As it was a subsidiary of Santa María de las Cuevas, it suffered serious problems of funding. Therefore, they tried to change its location in several occasions, all of them unsuccessful. In 1534, they tried to move it to Huelva; in 1588, to Málaga; in 1611 and 1624, to Álora; in 1624 and 1715, to Córdoba, etc. Nevertheless, in the 17th century, the convent started to be economically viable and in 1730, the monastery (its buildings and oldest parts) was recently developed thanks to some private donations. In 1750, Pedro de Aguilar, noble in Llerena, became the main convent's benefactor. He gave his fortune and employed some artisans from Extremadura to build a Baroque bell gable. Pedro de Aguilar wanted to live his last years in the monastery. So, he settled in a cell, where he had some privileges that the monks did not have, such as the possibility to eat meat. In addition, he could pick a monk a day to speak to for an hour and to study the effects of the vow of silence in human minds. Even though 1753 was a period of maximum splendor for the monastery thanks to the purchase of several buildings and a good economic situation, in 1810, life in convent stopped. This was due to the invasion of the French troops, who expelled the monks and looted the convent. When they returned in 1814 after the end of the War of Independence, life in convent did not last much more. In 1835, the convent was closed for good because of the decrees of Mendizábal's disentailment.

Mandates/Legal Sources

Description:

Real Decreto de 25 de julio de 1835 suprimiendo los monasterios y conventos de religiosos que no tengan 12 individuos profesos, de los cuales las dos terceras partes a lo menos sean de coro. BOE núm. 211, de 29 de julio de 1835, páginas 841 a 842.

Real Decreto de 11 de octubre de 1835 suprimiendo los monacales. BOE núm. 292, de 14 de octubre de 1835, página 1157.

External Links

Obras Publicadas:

VIAF

Fichero de Autoridades:

Cat¿logo autoridades SUDOC