Corporate Body - Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de las Fuentes de Sariñena (Huesca, España)

Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de las Fuentes de Sariñena (Huesca, España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Cartuja de Nuestra Señora de las Fuentes de Sariñena (Huesca, España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1507-02-11 to 1835

History:

The Charterhouse of Nuestra Señora de las Fuentes in Sariñera was founded by the Counts of Sástafo, Beatriz de Luna and Blasco de Alagón. In 1506, they bought the lands where the old hermit of la Virgen de las Fuentes was located, but the Carthusians did not take up the sanctuary until the 11th of February 1507. Even though Beatriz de Luna died in 1510, two new benefactors assumed the monastery's protection: Pedro Domingo Perandreu, Lord of the barony of Parcent, and Juan Torrero. Even though the building's works started on the 1st of April 1519, they were never finished. After the early death of its benefactors, the monastery lost its incomes' sources. Due to this and the location's inclemency, the monks decided to abandon the monastery and move to Zaragoza, where they founded the Charterhouse of Aula Dei in 1563. On the 5th of August 1565, they sold the building to the Carmelites. However, when the last heir of Perandreu, Margaria de Roda, gave those lands to the Jesuits, the Carthusians brought action to recover them. The Carthusians won the lawsuit in 1589 in return for paying 1.500 "libras jaquesas"* to the Carmelites for having improved the building and lands. The monks survived to the unfavourable economic conditions during the 17th century. The situation changed in the 18th century. Between 1714 and 1797, a new building was constructed near the old establishment under the direction of Juan Yarza y Romeo, Domingo Yarza y Maestro, Juan Puyol, Francisco Marcellán and José Julián Yarza y Lafuente. The church was decorated with paintings of the Brother Manuel Bayeu. The works were defrayed by the Comenge brothers, infanzons of the villa of Lalueza. The War of Independence (1808-1814) interrupted the monastery's life. During the Liberal Triennium (1820-1823), the monks had to leave the monastery again due to the Law about monasteries and convents issued on the 25th of October 1820. The monastery was definitively abolished in 1835 by the decrees of secularization.

*Currency used in the old Kingdom of Aragon between the 11th and 12th centuries as an account currency.

Mandates/Legal Sources

Description:

Ley sobre monasterios y conventos de 25 de octubre de 1820. Gazeta del Gobierno núm. 123, de 29 de octubre de 1820, página 544.

Real Decreto de 25 de julio de 1835 suprimiendo los monasterios y conventos de religiosos que no tengan 12 individuos profesos, de los cuales las dos terceras partes a lo menos sean de coro. Gaceta de Madrid núm. 211, de 29 de julio de 1835, páginas 841 a 842.

Real Decreto de 11 de octubre de 1835 suprimiendo los monacales. Gaceta de Madrid núm. 292, de 14 de octubre de 1835, página 1157.

Sources

PARES: Código de referencia: ES.28079.AHN/3.1.2.10.11//

Related Authorities

Carthusians  ( He/She is a member of )

Associative relations :

External Links

Directorio de Monasterios:

Asociación de Amigos de la Cartuja Baja

Monumento Histórico:

Cartuja de las Fuentes

Directorio de Monasterios:

Monestirs

Obras Publicadas:

VIAF. BNE

Fichero de Autoridades:

Biblioteca Nacional de Espa¿a

Fichero de Autoridades:

Cat¿logo autoridades SUDOC