Corporate Body - Cartuja de la Inmaculada Concepción de Zaragoza (España)

Cartuja de la Inmaculada Concepción de Zaragoza (España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Cartuja de la Inmaculada Concepción de Zaragoza (España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1634 to 1835

History:

The Charterwork of la Inmaculada Concepción or "Cartuja Baja" was founded at the initiative of Alonso de Funes y de Villalpando and his wife Jerónima Zaporta. Due to his devotion to the Carthusian order, he had recorded in his will, issued on the 10th of July 1629, his wishes of creating a foundation. Thus, he died in 1630 and his last wills were read on the 23rd of November, carrying out the foundation's formalization and the capitulation's sign between the widow, Jerónima Zaporta, and the Carthusians on the 20th of August 1634. It was located in Alcañiz, in Torre de Fuente los Martucos, where they settled on the 8th of May 1639. However, due to the arrival of the French troops to support the Catalans in the American Civil War, an insecurity environment for the monastery emerged, so they abandoned the building. On the 27th of July 1643, the Inspector-General father decreed that they settled in Torre de las Vacas or de Martín Cabrero in Zaragoza. As the location had not a water supply, the Carthusians stopped the place's inauguration until they found a better place. This situation bothered Jerónima Zaporta, who wrote in her testament that they had one year since her death to start the construction of a new monastery. If they did not accomplish it, the donation was going to be destined to the Society of Jesus. Thus, when she died, the monks started working on the monastery in 1650. On the 9th of April 1651, Diego Borbón, builder and quarry worker, placed the first stone of the construction. However, the first push was done by the prior Antonio Gascón in 1661. In this period, the water problem was solved thanks to the construction of a waterwheel and established a healthy economy in the monastery that permitted to face easily the works carried out. When the works directed by Gascón started, they took as a reference the plant of the Carthusian monastery of Aula Dei. In 1674, the needed dependencies for the monks to live were finished. The monastery enjoyed a healthy economy due to the neighbours' associations and the masses. This situation permitted them to keep improving and reforming the monastery and to undertake charity works as a financial support to the Carthusian monastery of Nuestra Señora de las Fuentes in Huesca or the creation on the 26th of December 1786 of a coeducational school in Burgo de Ebro. In the 19th century, the convent started to decline. In 1808, they had to abandon the monastery due to the War of Independence, during which the monastery suffered serious damages. After the Carthusians' return in 1814, once finished the battle, they started a work for the monastery's rehabilitation which was interrupted in 1820 when they were secularized through the Law about monasteries and convents. In 1823, they returned, they received their goods back and the work of rehabilitation for the inauguration and consecration of the new church continued in 1827. In 1835, the Carthusians abandoned again the convent due to the anti-clerical riots during those years. That same year, the decrees of Mendizábal's disentailment were also applied, so the convent was closed for good.

Mandates/Legal Sources

Description:

Real Decreto de 25 de julio de 1835 suprimiendo los monasterios y conventos de religiosos que no tengan 12 individuos profesos, de los cuales las dos terceras partes a lo menos sean de coro. BOE núm. 211, de 29 de julio de 1835, páginas 841 a 842.

Real Decreto de 11 de octubre de 1835 suprimiendo los monacales. BOE núm. 292, de 14 de octubre de 1835, página 1157.

Related Authorities

Carthusians  ( He/She is a member of )

Associative relations :

External Links

Obras publicadas:

VIAF

Fichero de Autoridades:

Catálogo autoridades SUDOC