Corporate Body - Colegio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de Salamanca (España)

Colegio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de Salamanca (España)

Identification

Type:

Corporate Body

Preferred form:

Colegio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto de Salamanca (España)Other forms

Fechas de Existencia:

from 1582 to 1835

History:

The "Colegio de Nuestra Señora de Loreto" (College of Our Lady of Loreto) in Salamanca was founded in 1582. Its founding was later confirmed by the pope Gregory XIII. A Cistercian school had already been established in Salamanca in 1505 but it was moved to Alcalá de Henares in 1534. The 15th first monks took up the school in 1583 and, that same year, it was incorporated to the University of Salamanca. The monks could not participate in the teaching of chairs, but they could preach sermons during the liturgical celebrations. The school had an income of 2.340 ducats per year and started its teaching functions in the school year of 1588-1589. The building was placed outside, together with the "puerta de San Francisco" (San Francisco's door) due to the lack of space within the city. The monks received numerous donations for its construction, including 2.000 ducats from the King Philip II. The building's works extended from 1583 until 1620 under the direction of Juan de Nates, Hernando de Nates, Juan de Nates Naveda, Juan Moreno, Miguel de Ontiveros, Pedro Gutiérrez, Pedro Pedrera, Francisco de la Hoya and Ángel Manrique. The church was built between 1626 and 1697. In the 18th century, the monks wanted to expand the building by adding a philosophical school but they could not do it due to a lawsuit against the municipal authorities about the property of the adjacent areas. The War of Independence (1808-1814) interrupted the school's activity. The troops of the general Wellington used the building to place the artillery batteries in 1812. It was later used as a military hospital, which forced the monks to abandon it. The school was restored after the conflict but it was closed during the Liberal Triennium (1820-1823) due to the Law about monasteries and convents issued on the 25th of October 1820 that suppressed all monastic orders. The school was reestablished after the liberal's decline. However, it was definitively abolished by the general Jalón and the civil governor of Salamanca in August 1835 after the Royal Decree issued on the 25th of July that abolished monasteries and convents with less than 12 practicants. The secularization was confirmed by the Royal Decree of the 11th of October and suppressed all the monasteries.

Places

Mandates/Legal Sources

Description:

Ley sobre monasterios y conventos de 25 de octubre de 1820. Gazeta del Gobierno núm. 123, de 29 de octubre de 1820, página 544.

Real Decreto de 25 de julio de 1835 suprimiendo los monasterios y conventos de religiosos que no tengan 12 individuos profesos, de los cuales las dos terceras partes a lo menos sean de coro. Gaceta de Madrid núm. 211, de 29 de julio de 1835, páginas 841 a 842.

Real Decreto de 11 de octubre de 1835 suprimiendo los monacales. Gaceta de Madrid núm. 292, de 14 de octubre de 1835, página 1157.

Related Authorities

Cistercians  ( He/She is a member of )

Associative relations :